How do you extinguish a small fire?
How to Put Out Kitchen Fires
- If the fire is small, cover the pan with a lid and turn off the burner.
- Throw lots of baking soda or salt on it. Never use flour, which can explode or make the fire worse.
- Smother the fire with a wet towel or other large wet cloth.
- Use a fire extinguisher.
What are the 3 ways to extinguish fire?
All fires can be extinguished by cooling, smothering, starving or by interrupting the combustion process to extinguish the fire.
How do you extinguish a fire?
The most common method is to use water to put out the fire. The water takes away heat by cooling the fire. Water also smothers the fire, taking away oxygen. Some firefighters use foam as an alternative to water.
How do you extinguish a forest fire?
Firefighters control a fire’s spread (or put it out) by removing one of the three ingredients fire needs to burn: heat, oxygen, or fuel. They remove heat by applying water or fire retardant on the ground (using pumps or special wildland fire engines) or by air (using helicopters/airplanes).
How do you extinguish a small fire without extinguisher?
On a chip pan or stovetop fire, a fire blanket is the best solution. If you don’t have one of your own, a slightly damp tea towel will work. Always turn off the heat first – and remember – never throw water over the flames. In shallow pans, simply lidding it can be enough to put the fire out safely.
What is the fastest way to extinguish a fire?
Extinguishing a fire the right way!
- Attack a fire in the direction of the wind.
- Extinguish liquid fires and fires caused by dripping substances from the top down.
- Extinguish wall fires from the bottom up.
- Use several fire extinguishers at once, not one after another.
- Take account of any back draft.
How do you extinguish a fire with water?
Water cools and smothers the fire at the same time. It cools it so much that it can’t burn anymore, and it smothers it so that it can’t make any more of the oxygen in the air explode. You can also put out a fire by smothering it with dirt, sand, or any other covering that cuts the fire off from its oxygen source.
How do you extinguish an electrical fire?
Put Your Safety First
- Disconnect the Electricity. First, disconnect the electricity to the source of the fire. …
- Use Baking Soda for Small Electrical Fires. If the fire began in an appliance or an overloaded cord, once you’ve unplugged the power source, toss baking soda over the flames. …
- Never Use Water While the Power Is On.
How do you stop a fire from spreading?
Examples of passive fire protection:
Fire doors: If sealed using the correct materials, fire doors act as barriers which prevent the fire from spreading. Cavity barriers: These block the paths for flames and fumes to follow, acting as another way to diminish the threat of fires spreading.