Depending on your career aspirations, it may take 2 to 7 years to become a certified firefighter in the state of Florida. Some factors that affect the duration of becoming a fireman are competition in the job market and your proficiency in studies.
How long is the Fire Academy in Florida?
Fire Academy schedule and length
The Fire Academy consists of 492 hours of training and is offered as a full-time and part-time schedule.
Is it hard to become a firefighter in Florida?
It is usually very difficult to become a firefighter. There is usually a lot of competition for each vacant position. Although there are usually only a few basic requirements to apply for a firefighter job, those that are hired frequently have a lot more training, education, and experience than required.
How much is fire academy in Florida?
Estimated Expenses for Fire Rescue Institute Programs
|Registration and Special Fees for Florida Resident for:|
|Fire Fighter I (Minimum Standards)||$987.77|
|Fire Fighter II (Minimum Standards)||$2010.23|
|Materials (books, uniforms, materials, certification exams):|
How do I become a firefighter in Florida?
Fire departments in Florida require that firefighters be at least 18 years old, a high school diploma or GED, and a valid Florida driver’s license. Firefighters also need to hold a State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance and a Paramedic or EMT Basic Certificate by the State of Florida.
What can stop you from being a firefighter?
So, what disqualifies you from being a firefighter?
- Lack of physical fitness.
- Drug use.
- Extensive criminal history.
- Extensive driving expenses.
- Dishonorable discharge from the military.
What state is it easiest to become a firefighter?
5 best states for career firefighters
- Hawaii. Number of registered fire departments: 11. Percentage of career departments: 90.9 percent.
- Florida. Number of registered fire departments: 477. …
- Massachusetts. Number of registered fire departments: 362. …
- Arizona. Number of registered fire departments: 249. …
Is a firefighter a good career?
Firefighting is a rewarding career that offers a very high level of job satisfaction. Being a firefighter is a great job if you enjoy helping people and serving your community, but be aware that it can be demanding, stressful, and even dangerous at times.
What is the best fire academy in Florida?
Best Fire Science/Fire-Fighting colleges in Florida for 2021
- University of Florida. Gainesville, FL. Image by @mostvigorousspring. …
- St Petersburg College. Clearwater, FL. St Petersburg College offers 1 Fire Science/Fire-Fighting degree programs. …
- Miami Dade College. Miami, FL. …
- Valencia College. Orlando, FL.
How much money does a firefighter make in Florida?
The average salary for a firefighter in Florida is around $53,340 per year.
How long is fire service training?
The average fire academy program takes about 12 to 14 weeks to complete a total of 600 hours of training. While most programs want all students to enter at the same time, some have staggered entrance options. Generally, you’ll need to commit anywhere from 40 to 48 hours weekly to undergo the program.
How long is Florida firefighter certificate good for?
(1) In order for a firefighter to retain her or his Firefighter Certificate of Compliance, every 4 years he or she must meet the requirements for renewal provided in this chapter and by rule, which must include at least one of the following: (a) Be active as a firefighter.