How much do firefighters make in Oakland?
The average salary for a Firefighter is $89,375 in Oakland, CA.
How do I become a firefighter in the Bay Area?
- Age: Applicants must be at least 19 years old at the time of application and must be at least 20 years old at the time of appointment. [ …
- High School Grad/GED: Applicants must have a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate (e.g., G.E.D., California High School Proficiency Certificate) to apply.
Is it hard to get hired as a firefighter in California?
California is one of the more difficult states to become a firefighter. This is because it is a desirable area to live and has higher than the average pay for firefighters, in many areas. As discussed above, this added competition for jobs means that it may take longer than average to get hired.
How much do fire recruits get paid?
The states and districts that pay Firefighters the highest mean salary are California ($84,370), New Jersey ($80,890), Washington ($76,970), New York ($75,160), and Nevada ($69,310).
How many fire stations are in Oakland?
The Oakland Fire Department (OFD) provides fire protection and emergency medical services to the city of Oakland, California.
Oakland Fire Department.
How do become a firefighter?
Becoming a firefighter: 10 must-do things
- Become an EMT. …
- Volunteer your time. …
- Take fire technology classes. …
- Maintain a clean background and lifestyle. …
- Understand all of the phases of the firefighter hiring process. …
- Start taking firefighter tests. …
- Stop by fire stations. …
- Get some life experience.
How long is firefighter training?
What firefighter training is involved? All new firefighters are required to undergo extensive training that normally lasts between 12 and 16 weeks. Even firefighters who have been doing the job for a number of years are required to do ongoing training to ensure they’re at the top of their game.
Is becoming a firefighter hard?
Becoming a firefighter is no easy task. It requires hard work, long hours of training, dedication and a sincere desire to help others. The firefighting career field is very competitive, too. You’ll be up against hundreds, possibly thousands of applicants depending on the department.
How much do firefighters get paid in California?
The average salary for a firefighter in California is around $74,700 per year.
How can I increase my chances of becoming a firefighter?
Take classes or get training in any number of areas related to firefighting. Hazmat training and certification is a good example. The general rule is: The more you know about firefighting before applying for a job, the better your chances of being hired. Get into and maintain excellent physical shape.
What can stop you from being a firefighter?
So, what disqualifies you from being a firefighter?
- Lack of physical fitness.
- Drug use.
- Extensive criminal history.
- Extensive driving expenses.
- Dishonorable discharge from the military.
What state is it easiest to become a firefighter?
5 best states for career firefighters
- Hawaii. Number of registered fire departments: 11. Percentage of career departments: 90.9 percent.
- Florida. Number of registered fire departments: 477. …
- Massachusetts. Number of registered fire departments: 362. …
- Arizona. Number of registered fire departments: 249. …