Aim at the base of the fire. If you aim at the flames (which is frequently the temptation), the extinguishing agent will fly right through and do no good. You want to hit the fuel. Squeeze the top handle or lever.
When discharging a fire extinguisher How far should you stand?
Aim low. Standing up to 10 feet away from the fire. Point the extinguisher discharge horn at the front edge of the base of the fire (the lowest point of the fire nearest you). Remember – extinguishers are designed to be operated in an upright position.
What is discharge time in fire extinguisher?
The extinguisher must be large enough to put out the fire. Many portable extinguishers discharge completely in as few as 8 to 10 seconds.
Where should you aim a fire extinguisher nozzle when putting out a fire?
P.A.S.S. the Fire Extinguisher
- Aim: Aim the nozzle of the fire extinguisher low at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze: Squeeze the trigger you just pulled the pin out of. Remember to squeeze it slowly and evenly, so it is as effective as possible.
- Swipe: Swipe from side to side to cover all areas the fire may have spread to.
What are the 4 steps in using a fire extinguisher?
The acronym PASS is used to describe these four basic steps.
- Pull (Pin) Pull pin at the top of the extinguisher, breaking the seal. …
- Aim. Approach the fire standing at a safe distance. …
- Squeeze. Squeeze the handles together to discharge the extinguishing agent inside. …
What does 4A 80B C mean?
Amerex B456 – 10 lb ABC Fire Extinguisher 4A:80B:C
ABC or Multi-Purpose Fire Extinguishers can be used on Class A, B, or C fires. Class A: Wood, Paper, cloth, trash, plastics (solids that are not metals). Class B: Flammable Liquids-Gasoline, oil, grease, acetone (includes flammable gases).
When should an employee attempt to extinguish a fire using a portable fire extinguisher?
When workers are allowed to use fire extinguishers, three very specific conditions must be met: Only use a portable fire extinguisher on small fires in their incipient or beginning stages; Page 2 Only use a fire extinguisher when you know what type of material is burning; Only use a fire extinguisher when you have been …
Which fire extinguisher must be held at arm’s length?
Wet Chemical Extinguishers
Hold at arm’s length well above the fire with its nozzle at least a metre away. Apply the spray in slow circular movements allowing the wet chemical agent to fall gently onto the surface of the fire and avoiding hot oils being splashed onto the user.
What should you do before using a fire extinguisher?
Before using a fire extinguisher, make sure the fire is contained and is not spreading around the area. It is also important to make sure the room has not filled with smoke before using an extinguisher. You should also make sure everyone is evacuated from the building in case the fire spreads.
How do we use fire extinguisher?
When operating a fire extinguisher, tell residents to remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
What steps should you take in the event of a fire?
In the event of a fire, the following steps should be taken to ensure the safety of all building occupants:
- Activate the fire alarm.
- Call 911 immediately and provide information.
- Assist injured personnel or notify emergency responders of the medical emergency.
- Exit the building following emergency maps.