There are no educational requirements for becoming a firefighter, however all candidates must undergo literacy, numeracy and mechanical reasoning testing as part of the recruitment process. A high level of fitness is required, and a minimum physical aptitude standard must be met.
Which subjects are required for firefighter?
- 18 years or older.
- Matric (Mathematics and Physical Science an advantage)
- Physically and mentally fit (evaluations will be conducted)
- Must not be claustrophobic (have a fear of enclosed spaces)
- Must not be acrophobic (have a fear of heights)
- High level of discipline.
- Ability to work in a team.
Does a firefighter need math?
Firefighters use mathematics to perform hydraulic calculations. Therefore, a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary for the job. Advanced math such as algebra and geometry have proven to be helpful.
How do I become a firefighter in South Africa?
Every fire department in South Africa has its own requirements but the basic entry level requirements are:
- Driving licence -Code 10 with PrDP.
- Pass a physical test.
- Must not be claustrophobic.
- Must not be afraid of heights.
What knowledge do you need to be a firefighter?
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES: Mechanical aptitude; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions; ability to operate an automobile or other vehicles as required; working knowledge of first aid methods and the ability to apply them; ability to operate portable radio …
How much do firemen get paid?
The average salary for a Firefighter is £35,495 in London, UK. Salaries estimates are based on 31 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by Firefighter employees in London, UK.
What GCSEs do you need to be a Firefighter?
Many ask for GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in English and maths, or equivalent qualifications. You’ll need to pass: an online test to assess your judgement ability in a realistic work setting. number and reading tests.
Do you need to go to college to be a firefighter?
Meet (and exceed) education requirements
At the very minimum, you’ll need to obtain a high school diploma or GED. Many firefighters earn a degree in fire science to advance their career. It’s also wise to become an EMT. Having both a fire and EMS background will improve your odds of being hired.
How long does it take to become a firefighter?
How Long Does it Take to Become a Firefighter?
|EMT School||6 months|
|Paramedic Training||1 – 2 years|
|Fire Science Education||2 – 4 years|
|Application + Hiring Process||2 months – 5+ years|
What kind of math is on firefighter exam?
Candidates must complete the calculations in their heads. No written calculation is permitted. Questions are based on the type of math that firefighters must use on a regular basis as part of the job. Basic areas covered include: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and proportions.
Do I need matric to become a firefighter?
Skills, education and training
To qualify for a job as a firefighter, you will undergo rigorous and demanding physical training. You have to be 18 years or older but not older than 45. You must have passed matric, be physically and mentally fit – there are various evaluations you will have to pass.
How much do firefighters earn in rands?
The average firefighter salary in South Africa is R 1 598 892 per year or R 820 per hour. Entry-level positions start at R 336 000 per year, while most experienced workers make up to R 2 175 696 per year.
Where can I study fire fighting?
WHERE CAN I STUDY?
- Central University of Technology. National Diploma: Fire Technology; Emergency Medical Care. …
- Tshwane University of Technology. Bachelor of Technology: Fire Technology.
- The Navy. …
- University of Cape Town. …
- University of Johannesburg. …
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology. …
- Durban University of Technology.
What is the firefighter flag?
What does a thin red line flag mean? The thin red line flag was developed to show support and solidarity with fire service personnel and to honor injured or fallen firefighters. The thin blue line flag was created to show support for law enforcement.
What kind of person makes a good firefighter?
5. Dedication. Dedication to the job is a vague and generic term that encompasses many traits and often goes by other names. Regardless of what you call it, it is essential that firefighters are hard-working, hard-training people who take pride in their work and want to be the best at what they do.
How much do firefighters make UK?
Our pay and benefits are great
|Firefighter (Competent)||£38,340 – £39,325|
|Leading Firefighter||£41,842 – £42,829|